November 24, 2009

Body World

I think that so far this semester, Body World has been my favorite experience. It excites me to see the body scientifically taken apart and explained. I could spend hours in that exhibit just looking over each detail of every bone, muscle, ligament, artery, etc. The section of the exhibit that intrigued me the most was the fetal/baby area. It is something that we haven't been able to discuss as a class or study in our drawings and it is weird to think that we started out so small. The drawing I chose to do while I was there was of a fetus at 20 weeks. I thought it was a good chance to expand my horizon. The main focus I had was the head and the arm. Unlike the adult body, the fetus head is much larger than the rest of the body and it seems quite out of proportion! It was also interesting that the skull isn't fused together... it is in pieces!
I have started to become worn out on the human figure and I am really looking forward to the large shell drawings, as well as getting to use ink instead of pencil and charcoal. It will be a nice change of pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment